Research suggests that music can stimulate the body’s natural feel good chemicals (E.g. endorphins, oxytocin); it can help energize our mood and even help us work through problems and provide an outlet for us to take control of our feelings.
For example music can help us to:
- Promote Wellness
- Manage Stress
- Express Feelings
- Enhance Memory
- Improve Communication
- Promote Physical Rehabilitation
- Alleviate Pain – Did you know that focussing on music reduces your brain’s perception of pain?
- Listening to music is a popular way to cope with difficult times, for example it can sometimes express how we are feeling or vent difficult thoughts and emotions for us. You may be able to relate to the music and find comfort from the words in a song.
- By listening to music we may feel our mood or energy improve.
- Music may even be able to help you concentrate and focus.
- Music can be an effective and positive treatment for people dealing with mental health conditions.
- Music can be a great pick-me-up for when you are feeling stressed.
- Music can actually have a significant positive impact on patients with long-term illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer and respiratory conditions.
- Numerous trials have shown that music can help lower heart rate, blood pressure and help relieve pain, anxiety and improve patient quality of life.